Friday, September 17, 2010

There Is Seeing, Then There Is Really Seeing

About six weeks ago, I went to get my eyes checked.  I have had to wear my glasses more and more over the last year and I knew it was time to get new ones.  The prescription stayed in my wallet for about 5 weeks before I took it in to order new glasses.  I picked them up yesterday afternoon and when I put them on, wow, what a difference!  I could see with my old glasses, the prescription change was not that drastic, but the crispness to everything with the new ones is amazing.  My new glasses made me think about seeing, about really seeing.

I remember as a kid watching my church build a new building down the street from my house.  The construction site was boarded up with little holes, every so often, so people could peak through and see what was going on.  Sight was limited to what I could see from my angle, and since I was about 9 years old, that sight was very limited.  The people working within the construction zone had a much better view.   

Life is like that.  So often we think we see things clearly; we think we know how God is going to work in our lives.  We can base it on past experience, on other people's experience, but we can be missing out on so much because we can tend to put God in a box and not trust Him with our lives. We see our circumstances from our limited perspective, but God is over the construction zone and He can see the entire picture.  He knows who will walk into our lives next week, people who will influence our lives, who will make an impact on us, who will change our direction.  He knows which path will be good for us, and which path will not.  God knows which path would be best for us to choose and we need to know how to be in tune with His heart so that we will choose it.  Second Corinthians 5:7 says "We live by faith, not by sight."  That is what we need to learn to do.

It reminds me of when I was a kid.  My Dad was legally blind, and there were times when I would close my eyes to pretend I was blind too; to see what it was like in his world.  I would walk around, bump into things, but I could open my eyes whenever I wanted to, I could open my eyes to see.  It was interesting because there were things I could do better when I had my eyes closed; things I can still do better with my eyes closed.  Believe it or not, if it is too dark to see the lock in the door, I close my eyes and use my fingers to find the lock.  Closing my eyes, helps me to take the focus off seeing the lock and simply focus on finding it. For me, it works. 

When we stop trying to figure it all out on our own, when we choose to trust God's heart, then we will begin to see; we will begin to really see.

God, help me to trust Your heart.  Help me to really see.

No comments:

Post a Comment