Friday, September 3, 2010

... Even If I Don't See It Right Now

The other day it was dark and rainy.  One of my co-workers looked at me and said, "The sun isn't shining today."  I had to disagree.  I asked her if she was in a airplane above the clouds, if she would see the sun.   She wouldn't acknowledge that I was right, she simply responded, "I can't see the sunshine."  Just because we could not see the sunlight shining in our little corner of the world, did not mean it wasn't shining.   The sun was still shining, the light was simply blocked by the clouds. 

How often do we allow circumstances to block God's light in our lives.  How often do we simply look at the clouds and allow them to defeat us.

Right now I am sad.  I know that this new season of my life is going to be interesting, but right now, as I prepare for my daughter's departure, I am sad.  My daughter and I have been close over the years and to know she is going so far and  that I won't be able to meet her for a movie, or just dinner, that makes me sad.  It is okay to be sad, because it won't last forever, just like the rain, it will end and the sun will shine again, but today, I remain sad.

Each weekday morning when I go for my walk at 6:00 a.m. I look up in the sky as I leave the house.  It is still dark and there is one bright star that catches my eye.  I look for it now; some days I see it, and some days I don't.  The clouds sometimes block it's light, but I know it is there and I am comforted by the fact that I know it exists.  In Revelation 22:16, Jesus calls himself the bright Morning Star.  When I see my star I am reminded of his presence in my life.  He wants to shine brightly in me.

I don't want to stay sad. I am not defeated.  I desire to focus on the truth that God is still shining in my heart.  Deuteronomy 31:8 says, "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

I know He is with me, I know He goes before me.  I know He continues to shine his light into my heart.  Sometimes He even uses people with skin on to bring a smile to my face.    In the last couple of weeks, He has shone through the friend who sent many a text at just the right time.  He shone through a friend who sent an email with a poem to inspire; a poem which I printed and taped next to my bed to reassure me that there is hope for the darkness.  Most of all, He continues to shine through the words He has placed in His love story to me, the Bible.  All of these, and many more, He has used to encourage my heart.

I will be okay.  I know that.  I will dance for joy again. I know that.  He will once again shine through me to encourage others, I know that. 

God has an amazing plan for my life. I know that....even if I don't see it right now.

1 comment:

  1. ... and within ten minutes of my posting, my texting friend had me smiling yet again. Thanks Lil' Bro!

    ReplyDelete