Thursday, September 2, 2010

Texting

The last couple of years, texting has become a way of life for me.  I love that no matter where I am, I can pull out my phone and send a quick message to someone I know.  I can text when I am out for a walk, sitting in the doctor's office,waiting for my turn, or even in the dentist's chair with the hygienist's fingers in my mouth!

Just yesterday, I was texting with a friend in California, making sure she was okay. Recently, a lot of my friends have been texting me to see how I am doing.  When I am texting, I can't see my friends, I can't hear them talk to me, but I know they are there and I know they love me.

This made me think of someone else I love to communicate with; someone I can't see, nor can I hear Him audibly talk to me, but I know He is there, listening and waiting.

Over 20 years ago when I was going through a difficult time in my life, I came across a passage that has really stuck with me.  First Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 

Did you catch that middle part?  Pray continually.  Some people think that praying can only be done at a certain time of day, or night.  Others think that praying has to be flowery, wordy, or simply pious.  I think all prayer is, is a conversation with my best friend.  I can just be heartfelt, open and honest.  I don't have to spend hours at a time, talking non-stop, I can simply shoot little one liners whenever, and wherever, just like sending a quick text to a friend.

So the next time you pick up your phone to text someone, think about sending a quick "prayer text" to God.  He is waiting to hear from you and I know He would love it.

God, I simply ask you to speak to the hearts of all who read this.  Give them a big hug from me!  Love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment