Monday, January 2, 2012

A Clean Slate

It's January, a new year is before us and since it is only January 2nd we haven't had much time to screw it up yet!  I have been thinking a lot about 2011 and all that happened in that year.  There were many good things, but some things that made me sad as well.   The best thing about a new year is that you have a clean slate and can start all over again.  That applies equally to the good and the bad of the previous year. 

It is easy to figure out why one would want a clean slate when it comes to the bad things, but the good things?  Why would anyone want a clean slate for those things as well?  In my opinion, it is too easy to sit back, celebrate the successes and stay there. Where is the challenge in that? You can only grow from those good times for so long, then you get stuck. 

How can you challenge yourself to grow this year?  What new goals have you set for yourself, including both short and long term?  What can you do to make this world a better place in 2012?   Is there a person in your life that you can choose to invest in this year?  I do not believe for one minute that we were ever created to just exist on this planet. It isn't just about me, and it isn't just about you (sorry to burst your bubble).  I believe there is a purpose to our lives, a purpose that is meant for the good of others.

When Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was, he answered. “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:29-31)  It is interesting how I am not even in the equation.  Jesus never mentions the importance of looking out for "Number One", being me, because I am not.  


I have heard it said that the word JOY is an acronym for putting Jesus first, Others second and Yourself last;  when we do those things, we will have true JOY.  From experience, I know this to be true.


It is early in the morning on January 2nd, 2012 and we have 365 days left to make a difference in our world.  That's right, it is a leap year this year so we get a bonus day.  What are your plans for making a difference this year?  

Revelation 21:5 says, "He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”"

I love it, I love that my slate is clean and that I can focus forward on becoming more of the woman I was created to be.  I am so very thankful for the lessons of 2011 but more importantly for the opportunities I find before me for 2012.

Here's to a great year!

1 comment: