Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Attitude of the Heart

This morning I had my attitude checked by God.  I was waiting in the drive thru line at Timmy's, about 4-5 cars back from the entry when someone pulled up from the other side.  All the vehicles in front of me went in bumper to bumper not allowing that vehicle in line.  Although there was another vehicle behind me who also was there first, I did the right thing and let that other person get in. 

I must admit I was a little shocked though, that the other driver didn't even acknowledge what I did; didn't even look at me. I got a little ticked off. If you had been in the car you would have heard me say, "REALLY? You couldn't even say thank you???" Suddenly there was that check in my attitude. That wasn't why I did it.  So I told God I was sorry and quickly prayed for that woman's day.  When I got to the window for the coffee, I was handed the coffee and told that the woman ahead of me had already paid for it.... and I had been upset because she hadn't acknowledged me.  Wow!  What a lesson.

It isn't just what we say, it's what we think, it is the attitude of our heart that counts. Ephesians 4:22-24 says, " throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes.  Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy."  That is the person I want to be, not the old self, but the new self, the one whose attitudes match the desires of my heart.  It starts with our thinking but needs to settle a little lower in our hearts.

I would like to be able to say that I had a great attitude all day long, but that would be a lie.  I had a bad attitude at work a couple of times, one person got to see it and that is one person too many.  I need to keep working on it, one day at a time.

If you know me, you are wondering why I was in the Timmy's drive thru. Since I don't drink coffee, I wasn't there for me, I pick it up for a friend at work.  So I wasn't even the beneficiary of the free coffee.  To the lady who paid for the coffee this morning, my friend says thank you for the coffee and I say thank you for the life lesson.  I have a feeling I gained more from your $1.80 than my friend did, at least I hope so.

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of work to do although I have come a long way I have a much longer way to go...I want to extend a helping hand to those in need and eradicate my prejudices and silly comments from my old ways. Most importantly, try to close the door on the 7 years of abuse I endured and forgive those who did those horrible things to me. Get rid of the hate and let God deal out the justice....

    ReplyDelete