Wednesday, December 21, 2011

So What Is Christmas About Anyway?

I can tell you what it is not about... it is not about the tree with the beautiful light bulbs, or the garland and decorations.  It is not about the reindeer on the front lawn or the houses so beautifully decorated.  It is not about the jolly old man in the red suit.  It is not about standing in line at the mall waiting to pay for the gift you settled on for Aunt Sally because you couldn't find anything better.  It is not about all the baking.  It is definitely not about the peanut butter cups or the caramel corn I have been making and making and making.  It just isn't. 

Some of us get so busy at this time of year with concerts and party after party after party, that we are so exhausted and we end up forgetting what it is that is truly important and what or should I say who Christmas is about anyway.  Just look at the first 6 letters in the name of the holiday and you will see who it is... it is Christ who is the centre of Christmas. Why is it that we get so busy celebrating the day that we forget about Him? 

He came as a little baby so he could experience life as we experience it. He was born in a dirty old barn; a feed trough was his bed.  His first visitors were shepherds, the lowly shepherds, the ones who took care of the sheep.  He came with the goal of dying, so that we wouldn't have to.  A little baby, just a little baby who came to save us.  His birthday is coming and He wants us to celebrate by loving Him and loving one another.

Some people are in it for what they can get, not for what they can give.  He wants us to be in it for Him, loving Him by loving others.  He wants us to love our neighbour.  So who is our neighbour? It isn't just the family next door, it is the woman across town that needs a ride to her doctor's appointment; it is the homeless guy who just wants something to eat.  It is the single mom who just needs someone to come alongside her and encourage her on her path. It is a lot of ordinary people.

Matthew 25:34-40 says,  “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.  For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink?  Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing?  When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’"


I don't know about you, but I want to be able to stand before Him and be one of those who He calls blessed by His Father.  So today, I couldn't care less about wrapping gifts, I couldn't care less about what is under the tree for me.  I just want to be one of those people who is ready to love those who Jesus loves.  For Christmas this year I want eyes to see like Jesus sees, I want a heart like His. 

For me, Christmas is about a baby who came to revolutionize the world.  One thing I know for sure is that 2011 is the year He revolutionized my life. 

Happy Birthday Baby Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment