Friday, November 11, 2011

Negativity and a New Day

I have a new partner in my office, well, she is relatively new, she has only been there for three months.  The other day we were talking and I mentioned that at least once a year I will lose my voice, and she commented that she couldn't wait because then she could have fun with it. Wouldn't you know it, I woke up the next morning without my voice.  Coincidence? Perhaps, or perhaps the negativity I spoke over my life was like a self fulfilling prophesy of sorts. 

Why is it that we are so quick to think about the negative, about what can go wrong, instead of focusing on the positive and what can go right?  Lately, a lot has been going right in my world.  Since my missions trip to Colombia in June, my world seems to have turned upside down, in a positive way, not a negative way.  So why is it, that I still tend to focus on the negative from time to time? 

Just last week, to prove to myself that I could do it, I took a trip to Chicago for the day, flew in in the morning and flew out at night. I had the most amazing day.  While sitting in the airport waiting for my return flight, I was texting with a friend. During that conversation I told my friend that I hated driving.  His response was, "Really? Why?"  Funny thing is, I had to think about it before I could answer.  I did answer, but it was a pretty lame answer.  What I came to realize is that I don't love driving, but I don't hate it either; I do it because it is a necessity in order to get to where I want to go. 

Because my life has been turned upside down, I can no longer go by the same old preferences.  I no longer hate big cities.  I no longer hate driving.  I no longer fear being alone, I don't prefer it, but I don't fear it.  I need to start paying closer attention to what I say before I say it.  I need to focus more on the positives of life, instead of the negatives.


Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."  I don't see negativity in that list anywhere.  Good thing!

I Thessalonians 5:16-18, 21 say, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus......Test everything. Hold on to the good."  I like the way verse 21 ends, "Hold on to the good." That is more like the woman that I need to be.

So when people look at me funny for saying that rain is just liquid sunshine, that's okay because I am choosing to focus on the positive and keeping my day on track.  

Today is a brand new day, a day I choose to focus on what is true and noble and right, pure and lovely and admirable, excellent and praiseworthy.  Those are the things I choose to plant in my mind. 

May today be a most excellent day for you.  May you enjoy it to the fullest!

Be blessed, my friends, be blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Cathy and I can relate so much! I especially love, "I no longer fear being alone, I don't prefer it, but I don't fear it." I feel like I could replace "being alone" with so many thing and it would still fit perfectly. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete