Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Little Things


The other night was a full moon.  I absolutely love full moons. Who am I kidding?  I absolutely love the beauty of God's creation.  Everyone was making a big deal about this full moon because it was going to be closer to the earth than it had been in quite a while, making it 14% larger than normal. I couldn't wait to see it.

As I left church that night, the clouds were covering the sky and the moon was hidden.  Not wanting to miss the moon, I quickly asked God for a favor.  "Can you please move the clouds so that I can see the moon? I would absolutely love it!" I waited and within about 10 minutes the clouds began to part a little bit; just enough to reveal the moon for me.  A few wispy clouds danced in front of it, but they were thin enough not to block any of the beautiful orb in the sky.  Over the next hour, on the drive home, there were a few wonderful moments of opportunity when I could bask in the light of the sun as it reflected off the beautiful full moon.  "Thank You, Daddy!"

My request may have seemed frivolous to some, but to me it was just a request that God could answer whichever way he chose.  I am thankful he decided to bless me.

Far too often people do not want to bother God with the little things. They think He is too busy saving children in Africa, or listening to prayers on the other side of the world to bother with their little issue. They can take care of things for themselves, so why even ask Him for help.

“So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.”  Matthew 7:11

Does this mean that God becomes like a vending machine of sorts?  No, because God sees the big picture and he knows what is best for us.  He will not give us something that, in the long run, will lead to our destruction. At other times, he will make us wait for just the right moment to bring that blessing into our lives.    God does know how to give good gifts to his kids, but he wants us to ask him.

“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.” Matthew 7:7-8

Why does God want us to keep asking him? When we ask him, we are in his presence, spending time with him. God created us to be in relationship with him. He longs for us to come to him and just spend some time in his presence. He longs to be our Father.  He longs for us to know what a relationship with him can mean to us.  He just wants us.

He loves you, you know, more than anything.  He loves you more than life itself; Jesus died to prove it to you.
 
I am thankful that I prayed the other night.  The view of the moon was spectacular and I most definitely enjoyed it.

Thank You, Daddy. I love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment