Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Starfish



I love the inspirational story of the starfish. In case you are unfamiliar with it, there is a wise man walking the beach and he sees someone in the distance who appears to be dancing.  As he gets closer he realizes the young man is throwing something in the ocean, starfish, one at a time.  When asked why he is throwing them, the young man says that the tide is going out and if he doesn't throw them in they will die.  With miles upon miles of beach the wise man reminds him that there are far too many starfish, it won't make a difference.  Again the young man reaches down, picks up a starfish, throws it in and says, "I made a difference to that one."

I love the story, it reminds me of the importance of making the time and making the effort to invest in those who God has planted in my day.

I am a person who loves things that mean something.  I love tangible reminders of life lessons.  My brother and his wife were going to the islands this past winter and I asked if they could bring me back a starfish.  I wanted a tangible reminder that I could see each day, to remind me to live a positive life for those around me. When they returned I came home one day to a starfish on the table, a big beautiful starfish.  I was extremely happy.  The next time I saw my brother he told me that when they were out on a boat one day he saw the starfish, went to dive in to get it but his wife had beat him to it and was already in the water.  Suddenly it hit me.  My request for a starfish was a very selfish one.  What I had wanted as a reminder to bring positive influence into other people's lives ended up costing a life.  I have a  shell that was once the home of a life, a life that was taken so that I could remember.  When my daughter saw it she reminded me that the beautiful starfish died so that I could have a decoration.

I love my starfish and will cherish it deeply, not only for the positive story it represents, the story of a life invested in others, but I now also have a negative reminder of what our actions can cost others.  I want my life to be an example that will be a positive influence to those God places in my path, but I also need to be cautious not to be a negative influence.

The starfish that sits in the family room never had a choice as to whether or not to give up his life. However, there is someone dear to me that did have a choice.  Jesus Christ chose to come to this world, he chose to die a painful death on the cross so that I could live.  I am forever thankful for what he did.  I choose to live my life as an example to others so that they too may see him.

As Easter approaches, I am reminded once again of the story of Jesus and his journey to the cross.  Thank you Jesus for dying for me so that I could live. Thank you for your example. Help me to model it each and every day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment